Search The Web

Custom Search

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Killing Me Softly

I have heard for years that diet drinks are really not all that good for you. But, did you know that it is much worse than that? I personally have been drinking diet coke for a long, long time. I believe for at least 18 yrs. And I get days where I drink a lot of it.

Apparently the real culprit is aspartame. When this artificial sweetener reaches 86 degrees F the wood alcohol in aspartame converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid. This in turn causes metabolic acidosis or increase in total body acid. The formic acid is a poison that can be found in the sting of fire ants!

So it would seem I personally am running a high and unnecessary risk. I drink this stuff every day and often many cans a day. Yuck!! In fact, I have one sitting in front of me right now that I've been drinking. So if you are one of many that consumes drinks with aspartame you may want to reconsider. I sure as hell am!!

1 comment:

Paula said...

Now, back in the day, in advance biology, when we wouldn't want to do any actual work for the day all that needed doing was to get Mr. Boss spouting the acidic levels of coke products. He would go on and on about the fact that there is no living organisim that can live in coke, until finally that old bell would ring, releasing us for the day. His words made an impression on me, and I rarely drink any soda. Grab a bottle of green tea, instead. You're body will thank you.